Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chemo 2, Day 7

Comparing this chemo to the first one is like night and day. I do still have nausea but no where near the level of Chemo 1. I did get behind on the 8-ball yesterday for anti-nausea meds so I could go to work AND think. Big mistake on my part.

Today, I took my time waking and getting ready as I really wanted to go to work without nausea. Eating, take pills, drinking, eating, taking pills and drinking. Taste buds are still kaput so I eat for texture. I can taste sweet and salt still. I ran by McDonald's on the way to work for a cheeseburger. The only thing I could taste was the pickle and ketchup.

Neuropathy is seriously burning my toes and feet. I feel like I'm at a luau and walking on the hot coals. Eeow, eeow, eeow.

Onc nurse said to take 10 grams of glutamine powder - which is 5 teaspoons (I think. I had it measured out but now have forgotten). I can add it any drink and gulp it down - just have to spread it out during the day. Onc nurse said to watch for cracking skin I guess it can be pretty serious - haven't had time to read up on it. I know the Onc nurse told me something, but I don't remember exactly what she said! This sucks.

The two newest side effects may be just one and something else. I am having nosebleeds. Oh yippee skippy. Since I'm heading into my NADIR, it is something to keep an eye on as it could be low platelets. Not claiming it per se, but just have to be aware of every little twitch in the body.

The second thing started today - severe back ache. Not sure if it came on because I was using a different chair at work, or if it is something else. Remember that every little twitch in the body means something to a cancer patient and their Oncologist. Tonight, the back has just been burning way too much.

Help! I'm on fire! My toes, hands and back are burning. This sucks.

Note to people I come in contact: Beginning tomorrow, I am beginning NADIR. No, it's not a religious holiday. It is when my blood counts go down and I need to be super cautious on what I touch . . .and need to keep my darn fingers away from my nose and mouth! Clorox wipes, here we come! I have no plans to go to the hospital this time around - and the Neulasta should have the White Blood Counts covered.

Oh well. I'm thankful that this 2nd Chemo is better than the 1st. Got to hang onto something! Me and my fired parts are going to bed. Love you all!!

5 comments:

  1. My goodness, if it ain't one thing, it's another. But take heart, that's most of life isn't it?
    Shall be praying about it all. You're doing good in your handling of it though, not something I'd be able to do, don't think.
    Well do take care. Till later. Love ya, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good thing Christy and I did plan this weekend like we were originally talking about. I came down with my sixth, yes, that's correct, sixth sinus/ear infection for this year. I was sent home from work yesterday with demands to go to the doctor. I got a different kind of antibiotic, and then a referral to a ENT doctor. It's about time! My boss is betting money they are going to tell me that I need to have my tonsils taken out. I pray not. But I'll be better to come your way in a couple of weeks! I know, my sinus/ear infection doesn't compare to what you are going through, but when one person is sick, and another is, I'm sure everyone around them can sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I meant "didn't". Tell my sick head isn't here! Off to my dr. appt, wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Renee
    I am hoping that your Nadir is as brief as possible. I hope I will have your strength when I have chemo but my wounds have to heal first. Is this neuropathy something that's supposed to go away? I hope so...Thanks Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura - I hope they find out what's going on with you. Health is so needed.

    Sue - some people have residual neuropathy after they finish chemo. Some people don't EVEN get the neuropathy in the first place! I'm fighting it with the glutamine, having started on a low dose before chemo started. Now, I'm doing mega-doses. Nurse today said 30 grams -- that's frigging 15 teaspoons! lol

    Dawn - you'd be surprised how strong you can be when you need to be. I didn't let myself go down that trail of "why me" very long. It's like this was handed to me and what am I going to do with it. Once I got past the fears that Sue is going through now, it's just a part of life now. Hate it all, and I can control only what I can control.

    Thank you all for your support!

    ReplyDelete