Thursday, October 2, 2008

Chemo 1, Day 1

Chemo was pretty darn easy. Easier than surgery!

I had my first infusion today, starting at 2 pm and finished at 5 pm. I had cytoxan and taxotere with absolutely no allergic reactions -- my biggest fear - or nausea. I received three different anti-nausea meds which always helps!

Just as we need to stay on top of pain meds after surgery, I will need to take the anti-nausea meds religiously. I am starting to feel a little icky now. Tomorrow I should feel okay but Day 3 is when the crash hits. Let's pray that it doesn't hit or that it is just a gentle shove.

I put the numbing creme on the port 2 hours ahead of time, tho I was suppose to do it @ 1. Literature that came with the creme said it could be put on @ 2 hours - figured more was better. The needle going into the skin didn't hurt and no pain. Until nurse got the needle in alllllll the way - about 1". Then that stung and was uncomfortable. Not the "get me a Percocet" pain, but a stinging. Next time, they suggested the 1 hour and they will use lidocaine also.

Whew! This is almost as good as breathing.
We'll upload pics that Vic took during the infusion tomorrow.

I just want you all to know how important it is for us to know that people are sending good wishes and praying for us. It truly helps!!

As the primary caregiver, Vic needs your support as well. My goal in this journey is to have an attitude. No, not the attitude that drives Vic crazy, because the Lord knows I need him and YOU. An attitude of calmness, positive-ness, and finding something to laugh about each day.

You can help! Send me a joke. Tell me the name of the funniest book you ever read. Rent a funny movie and come over and watch it with me after a chemo session. You get the picture. I am counting on you to help me have an attitude. The last thing I want to do is spend the next 3-4 months wallowing in self-pity and as a recluse.

If you feel like stopping by the house and can spend only 10 minutes, those 10 minutes will be the best time we’ve had! If you feel like giving us a call, don't worry that you are intruding. We have an answering machine and if I’m not up to conversation, or can’t find the darn phone, I’ll retrieve your message. Some of you know that I’ve tried answering the phone when I was on pain meds after the surgery and I think we might have had some interesting conversations. Hopefully you didn’t record them!

May there always be work for your hands to do.
May your purse always hold a coin or two.
May the sun always shine on your window pane.
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain.
May the hand of a friend always be near you.
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

5 comments:

  1. Renee,

    Just start looking at some of the rolls of film that Christy and I took back in our high school days. Oh wait, I don't know if we'll laugh about it, or get disgruntled about our younger years?! :)

    You have always been like a second mom to me in many ways and I chat with Christy often to find out how you are doing, etc. I wish that I was closer so that I could help you and Vic out by cooking some meals to have in the freezer, etc. Please, with NO hesitation, let me know if you still need that. I will plan on a weekend and be over in a heartbeat!

    I am thinking of you and hope that all is going well with you.

    Love ya,

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom,

    You really do not want to see those pics. REALLY DO NOT WANT TO SEE THOSE. Laura needs to learn to stay quiet about those things. Dang need to pick friends differently.

    Anyways, I always here if you need me. I can come anytime at the drop of a hat. You know that.

    Mike is going to get ahold of Tommy and see if he wants to get together and take Pop out golfing, well if this rain stops. Or go do something. The boys need to go play.

    Your cards are in the mail as of tomorrow.

    I LOVE YOU MOMMY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, what happened to those pictures from Mexico?

    If the boys want to go golfing during the hair shaving party, it just might be the best thing. Pop wants to be there for the cutting I think. He wants to support me in case I cry. What the heck is this "in case". . .I'll be sobbing. Unless we get a big bottle of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will talk to Mike. The wine is a good itea, but I dont' drink wine.


    Mexico? What pics from Mexico? I have all mine, nothing to show there. We were good girls in Mexico. It was the teacher that wasn't

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, those were the pictures I was talking about *wink wink* the Mexico pictures!!

    ReplyDelete