Thursday, October 9, 2008

Around the Bend

Chem 1, Day 8

==========================================

EVENING UPDATE: Life is beautiful and I have tastebuds. I got to work 4 hours today, whoo hooo!!!! Met with Oncologist who reviewed the side effects and came up with new treatment plan during the infustion on Oct 23. More drugs. Nurses were so apologetic that I have had a rough time. Very tired tonight after work, doctor visit and dinner. . . .but more energy than last weekend!!
=======================================

Oh, I think things have changed for the better! I actually tasted blueberry yogurt this morning. What a wonderful taste!

But, alas, let you think I am perfect . . . I didn't call the Oncologist or onc nurse yesterday since I didn't want to be a "bother". How female of me. About 7 pm, I couldn't take it any longer and called the Onc, who prescribed a form of marijuana. This isn't something that the local Bartell's carries so we came away with a transderm scop. Between increased dosage of Ativan and the transderm patch, I feel so much better this morning. Taking things slowly in movement, eating, and getting dressed, I am going to make it to work today. Oh joy!

I came across one pamphlet - out of about 30 they give you at your first diagnosis - that addresses CINV; Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Imagine, they have an acronym for it. I've had a few other acronyms but since mom may be reading this, I won't list them here.

It states:
You may be more likely to become nauseous from chemotherapy if you:

  • Are younger (less than 50 years old). Well, does 53 at diagnosis count?
  • Are female. Yep!
  • Are prone to motion sickness or anxiety. Double yep!
  • Became sick from earlier cancer treatments. Nope!
  • Are a light drinker (people who drink more alcohol are less likely to become nauseous). Give me back my younger days where this would have been a "nope".
  • Had morning sickness when you were pregnant. Had afternoon sickness, does that count?

Given this, I'm heading straight for the marijuana after the next infusion - real or medicinal kind, I don't really care. Now THAT is my younger days!

Peace be unto you and your household.

Joke for Today Courtesy of Sandy

'WHERE IS MY SUNDAY PAPER?' The irate customer calling the newspaper office loudly demanded, wanting to know where her Sunday edition was.

"Ma'am," said the newspaper employee, today is Saturday. The Sunday paper is not delivered until tomorrow, on Sunday.

There was quite a long pause on the other end of the phone, followed by a ray of recognition.... As she was hanging up the phone she was heard to mutter, "Well sh**t ... so that's why no one was at church today."

No comments:

Post a Comment