Monday, October 6, 2008

Chemo 1, Day 5

Out of bed at 2 am due to mouth sores and swollen-feeling tongue/throat. Made some rose hips tea that is to help mouth sores - seems it worked some. Took Zofran and feeling good. Eating, active, cleaning up, finding some recipes for Vic or I to cook that won't trigger nausea smells.

Then wham! Again! Down for the count this morning with nausea. . . and 2 break-through pills. Hope sleep comes back soon.

Talk to you later . . . .

8 am - dry heaves. Not good for chemo. Called doctor who had us come in so onc nurse could assess. No IVs, thank goodness. Just more drugs and advice. Waiting now (12 noon) for meds to be prepared.

Guess it's going to be a bad few days.

8 pm - Thanks to all you wrote in giving advice. The chemo just fouled up my gastroesophageal area. It's a weird feeling to be nauseous but also have a swollen throat and what feels like a killer heartburn from your belly button to your throat (and beyond), but none that you've ever known or wish to ever know.

The new meds are helping some and I will be on them for the next 2 days. One of the meds is lidocaine, benadryl and Maalox or some combination of that. But it's also like opening your bottle of Dove dishwashing soap and being asked to swish it around. It does the trick of numbing, that's for sure! Oh, and if you want to swallow a little, you can.

7 comments:

  1. I posted on your blog below, I guess I should have done it on this one, to make sure you read it. But I suppose it really doesn't fit your blog today.

    I feel really bad about your "mouth sores." Any sores in your mouth, are always sooo painful!!! I'm sure praying for you!

    Love you,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.

    And I feel terrible about the nausea you're having!! When I have my bad migraines, I'm like that, and it's not fun at all! I really feel for you, and am so praying for you!

    Love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee,

    I hope that you start feeling better soon!

    The brach's peppermint candies always help with my nausea. Something about the peppermint is a natural way of calming tummies. However, what I have found, they cause more dental work. I ate many of those when I was pregnant with Zach because of morning sickness, there were my lifesaver. However, I had to have about 4 cavities, and a crown after having him too... yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Renee - It sounds like this is really not a good day for you, I sure hope things get better soon.

    Much Love - Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you taking Emend? It, by far, was the reason Linda was able to combat the nausea. It's a pill taken on day 1,2,3 after chemo.

    She also had Kytril (both IV and pill form), Ativan (IV & pill), Decadron (IV & pill) and Aloxi (IV).

    She also took Diflucan for thrush (natural throat and mouth bacteria can get out of control) and Protonix for acid reflux.

    If you have any questions, just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If peppermint sounds appealing, you can always just sniff it, or put a few drops of the extract in a glass of water (hot or cold). Probably the sugar in the candy that was bad for Laura's teeth.

    I'm thinking of you, Renee!

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're exactly right Valorie! It was the sugar, but with how my tummy was, I personally tried the extract because I do have it, and I couldn't manage to drink anything during my bouts.

    ReplyDelete