Friday, August 29, 2008

Look Out Weekend

Aug 29

After I received the phone call from my super supervisor that I could not return to work on Friday, I realized it was probably the best thing for me to NOT go to work. The little elevation of stress from the frustration in dealing with HR and medical people increased the stabbing pain in the breast incision. If that wasn't a wake up call to listen to my body, I guess a sledge hammer instead of a knife stabbing will be needed next time.

As many of you know I can find humor in places where there isn't humor to others. Today I am chuckling because of what I said last night. As we were preparing to eat dinner, I started crying (imagine that) because of the day's frustration, not having enough food or liquids during the day and not staying on top of the pain. Vic came over to give me a hug and I blubbered, "I'm so sorry I have cancer." Huh? I'm sorry I didn't put gas in the car and you ran out and had to walk in a snow storm in your sandals to the gas station, but I'm sorry I have cancer?

Okay, I think it's funny now.

Vic says he is feeling stronger. He finds it weird that his stomach hurts when he sneezes. Maybe I need to remind him he had abdominal surgery?

One of my colleagues from the bank returned my email last night and it was super great. I haven't heard from many former coworkers and it was hurting just a tad. One of the things I've had to learn quickly on this road trip is that not everyone is capable of dealing with a cancer diagnosis. And that's okay. I will enjoy just hearing from you and the cancer word never has to enter our conversation!

Just heard from the surgeon's office. . . the tumor board does recommend re-excision. That means more surgery and recuperation again. Date will be set when I see them next Wednesday. It should be easier in that I won't have the pain from the other 2 incisions.

Given that, I am declaring this Labor Day weekend "No Thinking of Cancer Day" weekend. I won't post to this blog until Wednesday night. Please join us in celebrating life, finding one thing each day to be thankful for and organizing one of your closets (lol Just had to throw that in).

Hugs and smoochies!

2 comments:

  1. I will join you this weekend to organize just 1 closet. But it will be at my house. If you need me to come up this weekend I will. Send Laura an email or something, she is wanting to come over and help out any way she can. If you want her to cook 2 months worth of food for you and Pop then she will. Just call or send her a note. I love you Mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Renee,

    I am so thankful that you can see a little humor in everything, including this journey.

    I am also thankful that I am able to spend this labor day weekend with my daughter and grandson at the races in Fontana.

    I would love to be closer so I could assist with anything you and your family might need, but I will just have to settle for all those prayers that go your way each day.

    Love you GF.. stay strong

    Toni

    ReplyDelete