Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Get Me Outta Here

Sept 30

The count down is on. The prep work is almost complete. Lists, upon lists, upon lists, have been created and checked off.
  • Rubber gloves - to protect nails so they don't discolor or fall off should I ever do dishes.
  • Imodium - no explanation needed; just a little side effect of one of the drugs
  • Senokot - no explanation needed
  • Hand sanitizer by the gallon - ought to last a week
  • Call the dermatologist for the sore, itchy hands from being extremely conscious of hand washing and hand sanitizing this week.
  • Vaseline - to coat the hands before using the gallon of hand sanitizer as the dermatologist suggested
  • Apple juice, grape juice, Gatorade in 6 flavors, Emergen-C drink powder, Ginger Ale - 2 gallons a day, that's all we ask
  • Clorox Wipes - wipe, wipe, wipe!
  • CoQ10, B12, B6, B Complex, Zinc, Calcium, Vitamin D, Melatonin
  • Biotene Toothpaste, Mouthwash, dry-mouth gel - to prevent mouth sores; another side effect
  • Two egg custard recipes made - hate them both; I'll find another protein source should mouth sores develop
  • Whey Protein Powder
  • Ginger snaps - not something that I would ever crave but suppose to help nausea
  • Take back the icky-tasting herbal/supplements to the health store
  • Pick up more vitamins and stuff at health store per Naturopath's request due to zinc and calcium being low
  • Call onc nurse - confirm cortisone and anti-nausea med schedule for Wednesday and Thursday
To say that I am overly prepared for my first chemo session is an understatement. Now I just need to get mentally over prepared! I'm close, but not overly.

I am not as freaked about the "act" of chemo as I was earlier. But of course, I've been just a tad busy thinking and creating lists. The "act" having a needle in the chest and the unknown on the allergic reactions while the chemo drugs are going in. It has helped to have the visual of Mario and Luigi jumping on the Goombas. Imagery helps so much - or at least in my world it does.

I start the mega doses of cortisone tomorrow morning and evening. Ought to be a fun night of no sleeping or . . . . .

Almost finished reading and highly recommend the following books from the library:

It's Not About the Hair: and Other Certainties About Life and Cancer . A great book even if you don't have breast cancer. It is hilarious and inspiring.

I Am Not My Breast Cancer. Frank and informed voices of over 800 women on topics of Love & Sex, Mothers & Daughters and Being a Woman with Breast Cancer.

P.S. I mailed out thank you cards early last week and they were returned today by the P.O. Apparently, they can't be machine stamped due to the size and request additional funds. lol My apologies for delay in sending them out in the first place!


2 comments:

  1. Renee..

    I have a suggestion for the protein. It is a bit "sweet" at first but you will get used to it quickly. I have been drinking this protein shake since '04 when I had my gastric bypass surgery. It's called Worldwide Pure Protein. It is a premixed shake.. and NO AFTER TASTE that protein drinks normally have. It also comes in many flavors. Chocolate, vanilla, banana creme, strawberry, cookies and creme, etc. There are a few more. It has 35 grams per can, doesnt need to be refrigerated (I got used to drinking it at room temp after my surgery) Helps with hair loss tho I do not know if that will help you with the chemo.
    Here is a link that I order from:
    https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/search/en/query.jsp?q=worldwide+pure+protein&intsource2=main

    It is also available at GNC Nutrition Centers or your local The Vitamin Shoppe store. GNC is more expensive. I just order mine online.

    Unless you enjoy the whey protein powder that you have on your list, I would highly recommend this drink!

    Take care and thanks for your strength, and your humor!

    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

    I am going to order some of the protein drink you mention as soon as I hit send on this note.

    I dislike the taste of the Soy Protein Powder I had for after the surgery. I ruined a great pudding by adding. Yuck, phew, spit it out quickly, girl.

    Can you email me your mailing address? I know I had it one time during the Christmas card exchange many moons ago in the league.

    Thank you for your support and words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete