Saturday, July 19, 2008

Where Do I Begin . .

A co-worker had her routine mammogram in April and subsequent tests came back with breast cancer. I was 6 months overdue for my annual mammogram so quickly made an appointment for June 11. Unbeknownst to me, at that time, my co-worker had her mastectomy on June 11th.

June 11
Never having had a digital mammography before, I asked the technician if I could look at the picture. She agreed and took me behind the magic screen. Interestingly, there was a white spot in the right breast. Now, I realize that technicians can’t give a diagnosis, but I went ahead and asked her what was that spot. She proceeded to tell me about the make-up of the breast, i.e., breast tissue, fat, milk ducts, etc. Oh, okay. I go merrily along my way, not thinking about it, probably suppressing what I thought that white spot might have been. Denial can be an effective tool when appropriate.


June 12
Today, the radiology office called me at work and said they needed more pictures and a possible ultrasound which we scheduled for June 17th . . . five days to suppress fear. I had to laugh at that word the radiology staff used, “We need a few more pictures”. Like, "Can we get a 8” x 12” framed picture of your ta-ta?” You want a picture of my cat? I can email that to you. Don’t freak, Renee; it’s just another mammo because the technician messed up, I say to the negative thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment